Monday, August 20, 2012

Kids, Cookies, and the TSA

After 22 years of parenting I've learned that a dash of dysfunction is healthy.  It serves to develop a sense of humor in kids and adults.  It takes talent to maintain the correct balance of dysfunction.  Enough to be able to appreciate the humor in our pitfalls, but not enough to require us to be checked into a facility.

My kids have not experienced true dysfunction in terms of abuse, addiction or severe mental illness.  The worst they can complain about is that I embarrass them and I tend to be neurotic.  They have learned to live with this, and accept me for who I am, as I have worked to accept them for who they are.

Because I strive to live a perfectly imperfect life, I can hardly expect my kids to get it right all the time, or to do or experience things as I would.

I've done quite a bit of traveling and consider myself to be a savvy travler. I'm the person you want to get behind going through airport security, which I usually breeze through because I know what I'm doing.

My oldest daughter Shelby just left for a study abroad program in Spain.  Despite the fact that she has traveled quite a bit, she continues to have issues at airport security.  Here is a text I received from her after I dropped her off at the airport.


Several years ago Shelby was patted down after TSA agents found handcuffs in her carry on bag.  I don't recall why she needed handcuffs when flying from Minneapolis to Sacramento, but apparently at 13 she did.

My middle child is almost 20, in college, and has been out of the house for about a year.  She is only an hour and a half drive away and comes home every few weeks to see her siblings, and grocery shop in my kitchen.  Here is a text I received from her letting me know she was coming home.  She is addicted to apps that make her look portly or old.


My son Jared is almost 14.  He went on a tour of museums in Chicago.  I had visions of Jared and I discussing our favorite artists over hot chocolate upon his return.  Alas, he did not transform into an art appreciating son.  Instead he spent most of the trip turning sculptures into hat models, using his own hat, and texting me the photos.


At the end of the day our kids are like cookies.  As parents we pick and mix the ingredients, but we can't guarantee how they will look or taste out of the oven.

How do your kids surprise you?

No comments: