Thursday, March 28, 2013

Expectation Vs. Reality

Lately I've been contemplating the difference between expectations and reality.  Often what we visualize, expect, or even plan for, is not always what we end up with.  But, is that always such a bad thing?

I'll give you a few recent examples.  Two years ago when we got our adorable Maltese named Loki, I had visions of him running through our yard with his pure white hair flowing in the breeze, on a beautiful spring day.  Here is my expectation versus reality.



In reality on our first "spring day" this year, Loki decided to channel his inner piggy and give himself a mud bath.  It was a pain in the butt to clean him, the carpet and myself up, but my son and I did it together, and it was nice to spend that time with him.  He saw it as an adventure.

I've been seeing pictures of friends wearing their hair in a gorgeous bun with the use of a sock.  It's called the sock bun. Despite watching multiple youtube videos on how to create this look this is what my expectation versus reality looked like.


I look ridiculous, but I laughed my butt off.  I may never master the sock bun, but I know I don't take myself too seriously.

After contemplating all of this I realized something.  I realized that I may not always end up where I expect, but sometimes the reality turns out to be even better.  I end up learning patience, laughing harder and enjoying the simplicity of a less complicated endeavor.

At the end of the day I'm content in my perfectly imperfect world.  I'm thankful that things don't always turn out how we expect them to.  If they did, I think we might miss out on things we didn't even know we were missing.

No comments: