Thursday, March 7, 2013

Why I'm Giving Up Swearing Like a Sailor for the Middle East

If there is one bug I have it's the "Travel Bug".  In way it's kind of odd that I love to travel so much, as I hate going more than 10 minutes from my home for any of my day to day activities such as: the grocery store, happy hour, the gym, happy hour, or whatever else.  The gym I hate overall, but I've been twice this week, which is a record for me and why I included it.

I've fondled the nipples of sculptures in Paris, I've experienced the all-inclusive gluttony of Mexico.  I've gotten lost in the streets of London and have jet skied in Aruba.  I've stayed up all night in Vegas and have spent hours taking in the beauty of Central Park in New York during the Fall.  From road trips to Mount Rushmore to ghost hunting in New Orleans, I've hit many but not all of the hot spots in the U.S.

Well, there has been one international destination on my bucket list that I have contemplated, which will become a reality later this year. This Fall I'm going to Dubai!

Dubai
Dubai is known for many things, including its opulence.  My travel partner for this grand adventure will be none other than one of my very best friends, James.  James traveled with my sister and I to Hawaii last year when we scattered my mom's ashes.  Below is a photo of James after he protected us in the waters of Hawaii by fighting off a Tiger Shark.  I still think it was a local fish, but we are going along with the "Shark" story.

James protecting us from "Sharks".
If you are a long time reader of my blog, you know that James and I have had many adventures together.  I'll be spending the next several months learning what I can about Dubai, the culture, the etiquette there, and I'll also learn some basic Arabic.

The thing I know right off the bat is that I have to stop swearing like a sailor, as you can NOT swear out loud in public in Dubai.  Yesterday I said the "S" word only once, so I'm off to a good start. I told James he should do the same and start now, as his potty mouth makes me sound like a Kindergarten teacher.

We will explore the parties, the fashion, the sights but also the people and the culture.  I'm really looking forward to learning more about Dubai and its people.  One thing we won't be doing is going to their indoor ski park.  I'm not leaving snowy Minnesota for the desert to go skiing.

post signature

No comments: