Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Why Facebook Is Worse Thank Your Crazy Judgmental Relatives

Facebook has taken stirring up emotions to another level entirely with their "Your Memories on Facebook" application.  They now take photos and memories you posted anytime in the last 5 years or so and throw it in your face.

To add insult to injury, like a crazy judgmental relative at Thanksgiving dinner they try to soften the blow with this post:


Who at Facebook thought this was a good idea? It's like being bombarded over turkey by your crazy, judgmental Aunt who says "Honey I care about you and I don't want to see you alone, which is why I'm not handing you the pie. Last year you were at least 10 lbs thinner."

Facebook says "We care about you and the memories you share here. We thought you'd like to look back on this post from 1 year ago." Inserts photo from a year ago before you discovered the joys of enjoying gelato while binge watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.

Thank you for pointing that out Facebook.

Facebook also enjoys pointing out our past relationship failures be it friendships or romantic ones, but with the same lovely note which says "We thought you'd like to look back on this post from 5 years ago." What they really mean is, "Have you discussed your inability to trust with your therapist yet. We would like to see you with more than just your cats."

I find myself posting today with a question in mind. Would I want to see this in 5 years? Like a jilted lover, is this something Facebook is going to throw in my face 3 years from now. It's not enough that I need to be concerned with what my friends and family thinks about me, or how they might judge me later. Now I can add Aunt Facebook to that list.

Maybe it's just me. I know we learn from history so we dare not repeat it, but like mullets and shoulder pads, past posts should stay in the past. Stop the madness Facebook.

post signature

No comments: