Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My Top 10 Adventures in Greece


In October I took a trip to Greece through Silversea Cruises on the Silver Spirit. My trip was booked through Sue Thompson at Just Girls Travel. I can not say enough about how amazing it was! Sue knows how to hook a girl up! The mission of Just Girls Travel is "To create unique and meaningful travel experiences for women." This is exactly what they did for me.

I consider myself to be fairly savvy when it comes to planning my own travel, but I can say without a doubt, my trip would not have been as unique and meaningful (as is their mission) without Sue's help.

I've traveled a fair amount and I'm from Hawaii. Greece was the first place I've been  to that rivaled Hawaii! You have seen the gorgeous photos of Santorini, the ruins of the Acropolis and more. I'm going to share my top 10 adventures in Greece.

#1. Having my own butler on the Silver Spirit! Each room on the Silver Spirit is a suite, most with their own private veranda. You also have the services of a butler. Prabath taught me how to say yes instead of "No thank you, I'm fine." I learned to say "Yes Prabath I'd love more wine. Yes Prabath two desserts with my 5 course in-suite meal sounds delicious. " You get the point. I also appreciated how Prabath indulged my desire for multiple selfies with him.

You never forget your first butler

#2. I discovered why Greek people have such amazing butts! It is from all the hiking and walking they do around Greece. I walked and walked and walked. Each day I awoke at a new port. I'd throw back the curtains and experience a new view. Silversea has multiple excursions you can book yourself on and I took full advantage of that. You really get more out of the experience when you have a guide explaining what you are looking at.

Trying to get the "Greek butt".


#3. Got hit on by a little person atop the Acropolis in Athens. Surrounded by the awe inspiring beauty created by a civilization thousands of years ago, I found myself most fascinated by a little person I met. If you follow my blog you may know I have a soft spot for little people and anything miniature. I took it as a blessing from the Greek Goddness Aphrodite that this man started up a conversation with me. Being that my heart belongs to another, I had to decline his offer of a ride down from the top in his private elevator.  It truly was the highlight of my time in Athens.

Wish I had gotten your name. If you know this man, contact me.
#4. Reenacted the first Olympics. My friend Tara and her husband Nic (Who happens to be half Greek like my man) were also on the trip. Moved by the energy of the location of the first Olympics, Tara and I took off like a lightning bolt from Zeus. Of course we lasted about 20 feet before the Ouzo (Greek booze) we indulged in earlier kicked in and slowed us.


If only there was a wine drinking game in the Olympics.

#5. I returned to the sea in Nafplio. On a walk around a local town I stumbled upon this swimming area. There was one local woman in the water. It was the off-season for beach time, though it was a beautiful upper 70's day. Luckily I had my suit under my dress and was able to join her. It was one of the most beautiful setting I have ever swam in, and remember that is a statement coming from someone who is from Hawaii.

Rinsing off after channeling my inner mermaid.
#6. The food! With 24 hours a day room service and exceptional on-board restaurants, it was no wonder my clothes shrank. On the Silver Spirit you can order a 7 course meal in your suite if you like. You eat when you want, everything is all-inclusive including premium liquor. They needed a wheelbarrow to get me off the ship.


Hello lamb, oh how I've missed you.
 #7. The stunning sunsets. My travel agent Sue Thompson at Just Girls Travel is so good, she was able to schedule multiple stunning sunsets for my personal enjoyment. Truly spectacular to witness.


Nothing manmade can compare to the beauty of what Mother Nature creates.
#8. Meeting the local people. While on Santorini I took off on my own after a tour for a nearby beach. One of the people I met was this cab driver, whose name escapes me now because I can barely remember my own kids names. Anyways, he had just picked up a large pizza and shared a slice with me. I found most of the Greek people to be friendly, helpful and possessing a wonderful sense of humor. My kind of pizza.

Cab drivers in the States have never offered me pizza.
#9. Meeting people on the Silver Spirit. Though friends of mine went on the trip we did most excursions and meals separately. I loved being in bed by 9pm. My friends Nic and Tara could fill you in on the nightlife aboard the ship. I collapsed each night in a food coma. I had the pleasure of meeting my new friends Marion and Amanda. Marion is from Minnesota and her daughter Amanda lives on the east coast. We hiked, drank, explored and got lost together multiple times. Lovely people who I look forward to seeing again. Though, if never let Marion take your photo unless you want her thumb in it.

My fellow explorers.
#10. Coming home! One of the best things about my trip was coming home. Though my trip was the trip of a lifetime in many ways, it made me realize even more, how fortunate I am to have the people I do in my life. Dorothy had it right when she clicked her ruby red shoes and said "There's no place like home." Can you blame me? Look what I got to come home to.

My own piece of Greece, at home where my heart is. 
Just Girls Travel and Sue Thompson truly accomplished their mission of sending me on a unique and meaningful trip. I'm looking forward to our next adventure together. If you would like to join me or book your own, be sure to get ahold of Sue Thompson at 800-634-7414 or email at Sue@JustGirlsTravel.com
post signature

No comments: