Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dear Bloomingdale's.... Here is what I have to say about you promoting date rape

Add from Bloomingdale's 2015 Holiday Catalog


Dear Bloomingdale's,


I once had someone "spike" my drink. It wasn't the holidays and it wasn't egg nog, but he took it upon himself to slip something into my drink without my knowledge. In many ways I'm thankful that my memories of what happened after are spotty. A date rape drug will do that.

I'll tell you what I do remember, I remember how it felt to wake up feeling powerless, unable to move or speak while I was being sexually assaulted. I remember that moment when I realized I couldn't fight back or stop him. I remember what it felt like the next day to have multiple bruises on my body. I remember what the shame felt like.

I remember what it was like to spend two decades afraid to sleep with a window open or a door unlocked. I remember what it's like to be afraid of crowds of strangers, especially where anyone is drinking alcohol.

I remember what it was like to try to control the anxiety and fear I felt years latter for my own daughters as they went out into the world.

I'll tell you what I know today. I know it wasn't my fault and this man was a coward, the shame is on him not me. I know that my body is mine and no one has a right to take advantage of me in any way. I also know that I have no interest in spending a dime at Bloomingdale's or any company that doesn't have the sense to see this ad as not just inappropriate but dangerous.

Your creative team and anyone who let this ad be printed needs a serious education in what date rape is and the long term affects it has on a person. It's nothing to joke about. Personally I'd like to see Bloomingdale's do something to support organizations who help the victims of sexual assault. It would be a start. That's what I know.


Sincerely,
Someone who didn't enjoy having her drink spiked
post signature

No comments: