Monday, August 9, 2010

My Visit with a Voodoo Priest


The Voodoo museum is a must see in the French Quarter.  It is run by Dr. John T. Martin who is a white Voodoo priest.  His experience in the field of Voodoo was extensive and unique for a Caucasian.  

Dr. John is very soft spoken, with a peaceful nature about him.  Not what I would have envisioned for a Voodoo Priest.  After speaking with him I learned that Hollywood has given Voodoo a bad name and an inaccurate stereotype.  

The museum is small, but has eclectic artifacts.  I found it to be more educational rather than commercial.  After my tour through the museum I scheduled a Psychic Reading with Dr. John for later that day.  Several hours later I returned and sat down with him.

During my reading Dr. John used Tarot cards, explaining what each meant to me as we went through the reading.  Dr. John had cautioned me at the start that not everyone hears what they want to hear.  Thankfully there wasn't much that I didn't want to hear.  There was one point he made that I didn't want to hear, but after reflecting on it I realized I needed to hear it and his advice on it was good.

During our 45 minutes together Dr. John covered the next three years of my life.  Prior to the reading I didn't tell him anything about myself.  Interestingly he touched on a few situations that I've been currently dealing with.  He was very specific about something happening in the next 3 months.  I'll have to see if that plays out.  If it does, he gave me advice on how to get answers on it.  

I'm not going into too many details about the reading as it was oddly personal and specific, more so than I thought it would be, being that I had just met him and hadn't shared any personal info with him.

Whether the reading was the real deal, or just lucky guessing, I left feeling peaceful and optimistic about my future.  There wasn't anything spooky or evil about it.  I'm not about to start practicing Voodoo, but my experience has given me a greater understanding and respect for the people who do.


No comments: