Saturday, June 16, 2012

Yumi's Sushi Bar in Excelsior and Why I Can't Have Fish As Pets

Chef Raul at Yumi's preparing a Catapilar Roll and a No. 9

If I had to pick one type of food to live off of it would be sushi.  Being from Hawaii, raw fish has always been a big part of my life. I can remember my great grandmother shoving pieces of fish and poi into my mouth with her chubby fingers when I was about a year old.  I can't look at a fish tank without having my mouth water, which is in part why I don't have fish as pets.

Yumi's in Excelsior, Minnesota has the best sushi I have ever had.  I've sampled sushi throughout the Twin Cities, in New York, California and a few other places.  Hands down Yumi's is my favorite.

You can boat into Excelsior Bay and walk up Water Street to Yumi's, which will be on your left if you are walking away from the water.  If driving park on Water St. or in either of the two city parking lots beind the buildings on either side of Water Street.

Their sushi rolls are of a generous size, being the largest I've seen, and they pour their wine to the top of their wine glasses, huge bonus.

Sit at the Sushi Bar and watch Chef Raul do his thing

Yumi's recently moved into a new building on Water St. in Excelsior.  It's about 3 times the size of their previous location.  They open at 4:30pm 7 days a week.  I've been there on multiple nights throughout the week and it has always been busy.  They don't take reservations, but you can call ahead and get your name on a list for seating, but you better show up when your table is ready or they will give it to the next party waiting.

What I like:

  • Beautiful new building with much nicer bathrooms and more space than their old location.
  • Best tasting sushi! Very fresh, especially considering this is the midwest.  Huge rolls.  My favorites are the No. 9, spicy cruncy tuna roll, catapilar roll and the tuna sashimi.
  • Generous pours of wine, which fills the wine glass.


What I don't like:


  • Being as busy as they are, they are going through some growing pains.  The table next to me didn't get part of their order, and neither did I on one visit.  They may need more staff if they stay as busy as they are.
  • I wish they took reservations.
  • They serve beer, wine and saki.  I'd like to be able to have a dirty martini with my sushi.



No comments: