Thursday, July 19, 2012

Top 3 Places For Happy Hour in Excelsior

I've been very busy this summer doing careful research in my town of Excelsior, Minnesota to determine my favorite place for happy hour.  It was a daunting task to take on, but in the spirit of community I took it on.

There are a few things I looked for when doing my research:

1. What you got for your money.
2. Is it dog friendly?
3. Easy to get a spot at, and not over crowded with douchebags asking "Can I have your numbah?"

With summer about half way over, I can now share my findings and my Top 3 Picks for happy our in Excelsior.

#3 Biella  - Biella's has a tasty happy hour menu with excellent food.  Dave the bartender makes some of the best martini's I've ever had.  Biella was a little pricer than my top two choices, but it isn't fair to judge them based on price, as Biella is truly a higher end experience in terms of restaurant decor and quality.

I do enjoy their outdoor seating, but for happy hour you have to sit at the indoor bar, making it impossible for me to bring Loki.

The main reason they are my #3 pick is because their happy hour is only Monday-Thursday and is only an hour, from 5:00pm-6:00pm.

My friend Jill and I enjoying dinner at Biella during Excelsior Girl's Night Out

#2 318 Cafe  Their happy hour is from 3:00pm-6:00pm, seven days a week!  They have a guacamole to die for, which goes nicely with their happy hour tacos.  318 Cafe offers outdoor and indoor seating, with a recently renovated patio.  I like that they are dog friendly in that you can bring your dog with you and sit outside.  My only complaint is that the wine is often served in what looks like a glass for OJ, and the amount served seems small.


Loki and I outdoor enjoying a meat plate from 318 Cafe

#1 Jake O'Connor's Public House or as we locals like to call it "Jake's".  Their happy our is DAILY from 11:00am-6:00pm with happy hour food specials from 2:00pm-6:00pm.  For $3.00 I can get a generous pour of their house red, which is delcious.  My friend Cami and I love to share their cheese plate, which isn't on the happy hour menu but on their full menu.



When I bring Loki the staff often bring out a bowl of water for him.  They are located on the corner of Water Street and 2nd St, making it very easy for me to be found and keep "office hours" while I'm there.  I'm always running into the people I need to speak to, right there on the street, while I'm enjoying their happy hour, killing two birds with one stone.  You can find me there most Mondays from 3:00pm-5:00pm and Thursdays from 4:00pm-6:00pm

My friend Cami and I at my "desk" during my Monday office hours
The waitstaff at Jake O'Connor's are lots of fun.  Pete was my favorite waiter, but then Phil came along and made me laugh so he became my favorite.  More recently Pete really uped his game on our cheese plate and he is back on top as my favorite, at least until Phil gives him a run for his money.

Pete - My current favorite

There you have it, my top 3 pics for Best Happy Hour in Excelsior.


No comments: