Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Minneapolis Farmer's Market, Hipsters and Cheese

Though I've lived in the Twin Cities for about 19 years, until today I've never been to the Minneapolis Farmer's Market.  The Excelsior Farmer's Market is two minutes from my house and usually where I go.





The only reason I even go to the Excelsior Farmer's Market is to buy bread and sample one of everything they have (especially the berries), until I'm full or they ask me to leave, whichever comes first.  I'm not a vegetable fan, unless it's a vegetable I can add to a cocktail, so most Farmer's Markets don't greatly appeal to me.

My friend Connie has been trying to get me to leave my bubble of the suburbs and check out the Minneapolis Farmer's Market for years.  She finally talked me into it, filling my head with visions of of aged cheeses and bread samples, my known weaknesses.  Also I thought I might meet some interesting city people. Maybe even a hipster?  Actually, I'm not sure of what a hipster is, but I think they dwell in the city and wear skinny jeans.

First off, I had no idea it was such a large market.  Secondly I didn't know they carried clothes!  Had she said that I'd have gone years ago.

As you can see from this photo is was crowded, something I'm not a fan of, which is why I live in the suburbs, but I channelled my inner New Yorker and pushed my way through, motivated in my search for hipsters, sourdough bread and a nice aged cheddar.


Connie and I enjoyed the most delicious polish sausages loaded with onions, peppers and mustard.  I would have taken a photo of it, but I wolfed it down before I thought of doing so.  I quickly learned that white capris were not the best choice of clothing when eating mustard.  The same place made a tasty lemonade lacking in only one ingredient, vodka.  Though as Connie pointed out it was only 9:00am.  She is such a stickler about things like that.

Seating was limited so we sat down at a table with what we hoped where local city folk out to load up on veges for their vegan dishes, and discuss how lame us suburbanites were.  I was ready for some deep hipster conversation while I pretended to be visiting from New York.  My name was going to be Natasha Breaderton. Well, we picked the wrong table!  Turns out we sat next to a couple also from Excelsior.  What the hell?

I did my best to ignore the Excelsior couple and instead chatted with another couple who were from Maple Grove, 20 minutes outside the Excelsior bubble, but still in the suburban bubble.  Where were the damn city folk?  It was wall to wall suburbinites. It was like going to Europe to hang out with Americans and eat at McDonalds.

Eventually I gave up on my hunt for the ellusive hipster and got busy shopping.  Thankfully I found just what I was looking for: Sourdough bread and a variety of cheeses.


Connie and I have decided that we are going to try a variety of Farmer's Markets in different cities.  I may yet meet a hipster and get to be Natasha Breaderton.

No comments: