Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Stop Your Whining. You Aren't Being Chased by a Dinosaur

Featured in the Lakeshore Weekly News

Despite the technology that exists to make our lives easier than ever, we are running around and stressing ourselves out more than we ever have. How could this be in an age when we can pay bills in minutes through an app on our phone, without needing to write out checks, address envelopes etc?

We no longer need to go to the library to research how to build a chicken shed, we can google it. When we want to find a good restaurant, we don’t need to call 5 friends we turn to Yelp or Open Table.  No one in our community is walking three miles up hill in the snow to get to school.

So why is it that I’m seeing friends, family and community members more stressed out than ever? We do not live in a world where we need to out-run dinosaurs on Water Street in Excelsior. We aren’t having to hunt and farm as our only food source in Chanhassen, nor are we dying of infections which modern antibiotics can cure, or fresh water our of taps in our households can prevent.

Try explaining to the starving, dying people in a third world country with no modern medicine or fresh water, why countless numbers of Americans are dying of obesity.

Try explaining to children playing kick the rusty can in the dirty streets of Calcutta how stressed out you are about having to run three kids around in your SUV to three different sporting events on the same day.

I’m guilty of this, so know that I’m not judging anyone. If anything I’m writing this as a reminder to myself of how thankful and appreciative I should be to live in the world I live in today.

Recently I had strep, which is no fun for a child, but is a full blown nightmare for an adult. Thankfully I was able to walk into Target, get a strep test and a prescription for antibiotics. I was also able to pick up over the counter medicine to help keep me comfortable. Can you imagine living in a world (as many do) with no access to medical care or modern medicine for something like strep, or the flu?

Most of us don’t have unlimited financial resources, but we are still much more privileged than most of the world. I drove the same car for ten years. Many will never own a car.

I found myself getting overly annoyed with the geese in our yard. I live on the dang water! Many people would trade places with me if it meant putting up with pesky geese that crap in the yard.

I’m not saying we have no right to ever be upset or stressed. I’m saying I think many of us have lost or let slip away what is truly important. What sometimes slams that home to us is loosing someone close to us, or knowing someone dealing with a terminal illness. Now those are problems.

Having your nail technician running 15 minutes late is not a problem. Having to wait 20 minutes to be seated at your favorite restaurant is not a problem or a reason to get in a huff.  Having your child not get the lead in the school play is not a problem.  Your child not having the latest iPhone is not a problem.

A child who doesn’t have a winter coat, that is a problem. An individual without access to needed medical care, that is a problem. A mother having to choose between feeding her children or keeping the lights on, that is a problem.

These are problems we have in and around our own community. This is why we need to continue to support organizations like ResourceWest and the ICA Food Shelf.

This is why we need to check ourselves the next time we are complaining about how stressed we are because we are leaving on vacation to Hawaii in four days and just can’t get everything done.


The next time you are feeling overwhelmed and you feel the need to complain or whine ask yourself, do I have a safe place to sleep, healthy food to eat and friends and family who love me, am I being chased by a dinosaur? If you have those things and a T-Rex is not on your heels, sit down shut up and bask in the glow of everything you are grateful for.

Imperfectly Yours,
Natalie

No comments: