Friday, September 21, 2012

My Last Day of Summer: Boats, Beer, Benefits, Disorders and Politicians

My last day of summer was quite eventful.  I attended a "Keep the Vibe Alive" boat cruise on Lake Minnetonka to support three wonderful candidates running for office in my town of Excelsior, Minnesota.

I'm pretty sure I made it out of there only offending one person. The stud muffin is right, I really do need to install a speed bump between my thoughts and my mouth.  I suffer from a disability known as "Foot in Mouth Disorder."  To date, there is no known cure.  It's a condition exacerbated by crowds and alcohol.

After telling the stud muffin what happened and how mortified I was, he said, "Repeat after me. It is NEVER appropriate to tell a man that his photo looks like he just got busted for prostitution!"  In my defense, when a man doesn't smile in a photo, it looks like a mugshot.

My Foot in Mouth Disorder otherwise known as "FMD", is just one of the many reasons why you will never see me running for office, which is why I want to support those who can and will do a good job in our town.  They have my support, even if I'm not invited back to anymore events.

I truly am trying to do better, it just doesn't come naturally to me.  Apparently when mouth filters were being handed out I was in line for a double dose of the "loves wine" gene.  I'm thinking of starting a 5K to benefit finding a cure for Foot in Mouth Disorder.

Here I am on the boat cruise with John from the Excelsior Brewing Company.  He is NOT the person I offended, as you can tell by this photo where he is smiling, and not looking like he just got busted for prostitution.


Coincidentally after the boat cruise, I was heading to meet some friends at the Excelsior Brewing Company, before heading to the Taste of the Lakes Gala benefiting the ICA Food Shelf.  It was a busy day!  After a wardrobe change I headed to my next gathering.

Mona, Trish, me, Jill, and Cheri who came all the way from Utah
Mona and her fabulous husband Mike, (who is not so fabulous at taking photos with my phone, as you can see here, though I do look better slightly blurry), love beer.  What better place to take Mona's sister and her husband who were visiting from Utah, than to our very own local brewery!  Not everyone from Utah is Mormon.  So, before you think we made the faux pas of taking two Mormons to a brewery, we did not.  Though from Utah, they are not Mormon, which made the brewery an acceptable venue.

Other than some face licking, which I had nothing to do with, we enjoyed a lovely visit together before Jill and I had to head to the Taste of the Lakes gala, just down the street.  My friend Jill is quite the foodie with a fun blog called Sassy Family.  Being a foodie she was the perfect person to attend a food tasting event with, plus she doesn't complain when I put extra helpings of free food in my purse for later.

One of my favorite comedians is Kristin Anderson, who is also a friend, and she was the co-host of the Taste of the Lakes Gala.  Kristin always makes me feel so normal.  When I get around to creating a 5K and Gala for Food in Mouth Disorder, I'm going to have Kristin emcee it.

Kristin and I at last night's Gala
It's always a pleasure to see Excelsior Mayor Nick Ruehl.  I let him know how he was stirring up my abandonment issues by retiring as Mayor.  I've known Nick for about five years, and despite my Foot in Mouth Disorder, he continues to be photographed with me in public, and remains a friend.  If we do find a cure for FMD, I may name it after Nick for being such a cool guy.

With Excelsior Mayor Nick Ruehl
My last day of summer was very busy.  When Jill dropped me off we congratulated ourselves on being such wild party animals, despite being in our 40s.  Of course it was 9:00pm, but hey it was a full day.







post signature

No comments: